6. MN: The New London fish hatchery is loaded up!
Looks like a bank vault with all that gold.
7. WI: Chase Parsons will be at the “Walleye Madness” event/sale…
…at Cabela’s in Green Bay on May 7 from 11-3p. If you’re already fished-out from the day before 👀 since it’s WI’s “fishing opener” this weekend.
8. NY: Oneida Lake WalleyeFest sold 1K tickets in 24 hrs.
Set their 1-day ticket sales record.
> 2022 was the last year The Lions Club held the derby which started in ’79. WalleyeFest Festival & Derby was born in early ’23 to carry on the tradition beloved by generations and thousands of anglers. Now in its 44th year the derby will be updated, expanded, and made into a 3-day music, food, and vendor festival to kick-off SPRING in CNY!
Ticket sales close at midnight tonight if you plan on fishing it this weekend. Think someone is gonna catch that tagged fish and win a new boat?!
9. CO: Zeebz found in Highline Lake.
10. WI: Fish consumption advisory for Green Bay + tributaries.
11. It is possible to do livewell/boat checks in virtual derbies (video).
12. MN: Brainerd Ice Fishing Extravaganza having t-shirt design contest.
Must be a student in the area:
> …looking for a new design for the shirts that are handed out to the first 150 people who catch a fish at the contest. Are you a student in the Brainerd Lakes Area who is interested in having your design seen by over 10,000 people? Send us your submission! The winner of this contest will have the design featured on the 2024 Extravaganza t-shirts, be recognized on social media, get a free contest ticket, and will receive a free t-shirt with the design on it!
Full scoop here.
13. NORSK Lithium joins forces with Traditions Media.
14. NW Angle: Flag Island resort has 2 new GMs.
Keith and Brittany Dahl.
15. Heads-up MN folks!
The MN DNR is doing a survey on a Proposed Bass Catch-and-Release Season to gather public input on year-round fishing opportunities for bass in MN:
> Bass fishing in MN has become increasingly popular. Anglers have questioned the need for closed bass seasons. In the interest of increasing bass opportunities, the DNR’s Bass Technical Team (Fisheries staff dedicated to bass research and management) has discussed a year-round angling season concept. The Team looked at available biological information from MN and in the scientific literature and is seeking public comment on updating the existing catch-and-release season.
We’ve been waiting a long time for this and it sounds like it’s gained a ton of momentum! There is some really good information at the beginning of this survey so folks can help make an informed decision.
16. MN: DNR receives land donation along St. Croix River.
> This transfer completes a two-phase donation from TPL totaling more than 700 acres.
17. OK: 110-lb Asian carp caught from Neosho River.
> An Oklahoma angler hoping to snag a giant paddlefish on Sat instead landed a bighead carp that weighed 20 lbs more than the existing world record.
Strap a saddle on this thing and see if you can stay on for 8 seconds!