I’ve had buddies up there sandbagging for nearly a week straight trying to save what they can. Can’t even imagine. Thoughts and prayers to all those impacted.
2. US: 52 million Americans went fishing in 2021.
According to preliminary data from the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation’s (RBFF) 2022 Special Report on Fishing:
> Down slightly from 2020, fishing participation exceeded 50 mil for the second time in 14 yrs, posting gains over 2019 and supporting a 6-yr upward trend.
Few other details:
• 12.9 mil youth (ages 6-17) went fishing in 2021, up 14% over 2019.
• 4.7 mil Hispanics fished in 2021, up 7% over 2019.
• 19.4 mil women went fishing in 2021, up 8% over 2019.
3. MN: Interesting fish-diet study results.
Held over 3 yrs on 10 different MN lakes, and looked at the stomach contents of walleyes, muskies, northern and largemouth.
Btw perch and sunfish made up the majority of walleye’s diet.
4. MN: AIM championship is happening right now on Lake Miltona.
It’s a 2-day derby and they’ll be posting updates on their FB page.
5. Lake Erie: Where have all the perch gone?
Who’s gonna get the blame: Walleye boom, habitat degradation, round gobies or algal blooms??
6. WV: Albright Dam (Cheat River) might be gone next year.
> “Fish, particularly walleyes, have moved upstream from Cheat Lake through the Cheat Canyon, and they’re now stopped at the Albright Dam. Removal of the dam will allow the walleyes to move on upstream.”
7. IL: The end of ‘Asian carp’ is coming?
But not how you think. The IL DNR wants a new national name and brand for Asian carp to make them sound tastier:
> Asian carp is mild-flavored, flaky, freshwater fish, caught in Midwestern waterways. Its place is among the most popular white fish: more savory than tilapia; cleaner tasting than catfish; and firmer than cod.
> What we need now is a name that is as appealing as its taste, so more people will eat it and in the process, restore our waterways and protect the Great Lakes.
> Join Chopped champion Brian Jupiter of Frontier and Ina Mae Tavern and 13x James Beard Award-winning journalist Steve Dolinsky as we unveil a new national name and brand for Asian carp [on Wed, Jun 22 at 11am cst].
8. I thought this video was a joke…
…but now I’m not so sure. 🥴 It’s a review posted by Canadian Tire where the product tester, Merv, is using the spinning reel upside down the entire time lol.