1. Some of my wheelhouse must-haves 😅a fat 1+lb ribeye, Crocs (duh!), LiveScope to watch what’s going on in all holes at the same time, and Catch Cover Hole Covers and Safety Covers…which saved my phone twice, portable power bank once, and my daughter about a zillion times LOL.
2. Swear I offered to share that medium-rare goodness with Maisie, but she insisted on pizza rolls…which I also ate for dessert.
3. I completely spaced on bringing my Engel cooler, but luckily had one of those new R12 Lithium Aerators stashed in my truck. It runs on the same 2Ah Lithium ION battery that my Heavy-Duty Lithium Fillet Knife Combo runs on.
Already had a SmartHub Bucket Mount slapped on the side of my trusty 5-gal bucket…dumped out all the random stuff I had thrown in there, and voilà I had fresh minners getting O₂ for 35 hours straight on that single battery. My first time using it, and it worked slick!
Oh, and I’m pretty sure my daughter would rather play with a bucket of minnow over an iPad anyday – literally couldn’t keep her out of them, but I bought plenty extra for that exact reason. Loved it.
4. Had some bites on rattle reels, but our best jigging bait was an 1/8-oz VMC Bull Spoon. Best colors were: Daytime = “Shiner” and “Gold Juicy Lucy.” After-dark = “Glow Black Wonderbread” and “Glow Tiger.”
5. It was the coldest day/night of the dang year! It got down to -25°F real temp, and the wind chill was outrageous…but it was 70°F in that cushy Yetti Fish House! Usually those kind of temps are just asking for trouble, or things not working right…but we never had a single hiccup!
6. We both snuggled-up in the queen lift bed and it was the best night of sleep I have ever gotten in a wheelhouse (other than a couple of those pesky rattle-reel alarm clocks HA!). Thank goodness for new “shacks” having actual mattresses! Maisie thought waking up to the on-ice sunrise was the coolest thing ever. I agreed.
7. But first: Coffee. Always coffee.
8. These are always welcome to interrupt breakfast.
9. TONS of these to stay busy with and some quality ones mixed in! They grow fast on Mille Lacs, and the new crop of jumbos in there are no joke. You didn’t hear it from me 🤐 but I think by next year you’re going to be hearing a big buzz around ’em…. I’ve already said too much lol.
10. Man, I am so stinkin’ proud of this girl. She’s already asked me about 47 times when we can go again next. Not sure exactly when, but I do know that it won’t be soon enough. It seems like way more work to bring the little ones with on fishing excursions…and, well, it is…but these are the memories that I will hold onto the longest. And hopefully she does too. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
Obviously it makes it a lot easier to be able to hop into an already-warm wheelhouse with the holes drilled, and I couldn’t be happier with our experience using Ice Camp Outfitters. We will definitely be back!