1. ID: 8yo breaks Gerrard rainbow trout C&R record.
Sophie Egizi caught the 36.5-incher (she nicknamed “Old Man Sparkles”) trolling flies on Lake Pend Oreille. So awesome:
Case you didn’t know either:
> Gerrard rainbow trout are a strain of fish that are unique to the Clark Fork River drainage…because of their massive size, they’re treated as a separate trout species for record-keeping purposes.
2. Lake Erie: Algae blooms and “dead zones” have…
…forced fish to migrate. Interesting because according to this write-up:
> “Algae serves as the base of the food chain for small fish and is among the reasons why Lake Erie, which only holds 2% of the Great Lakes water volume, cradles roughly 50% of the fish.”
But too much of a good thing can mean a bad thing. In this case, monster algae blooms combined with “excessive runoff from farm fields or urban sewage plants” can create dead zones = areas fish can’t survive due to low oxygen levels.
3. MT to cut back on the Holter Rez meat piggin’.
Walleye and perch numbers are way down based on annual fall monitoring so:
> …proposed reducing the perch limit from 50 perch per day with no possession limit [!!] to 25 perch daily and in possession.
> …proposing to reduce the walleye bag limit from 10 walleye daily (1 > 25″) to 5 fish daily (1 > 25″). Possession limit would remain 2x the daily limit.
4. US: Boat registration program picks up 60K rigs.
Guess the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation (RBFF) sent out letters to owners of boats with lapsed registrations in 19 states, and “brought a record number of boats back to the water” when more than 60,000 re-registered.
All good, but do they really think that none of those 60K boats were still being used? Riiiight….. Either way got ’em another $2.23 mil+ in registration fees. #ChaChing
5. PK Lures has Rattle Spoons comin’ soon-ish.
Need. Want. Must. Have.
Keep ya posted when they drop…AFTER I have my order in lol. #sorrynotsorry
6. ON: Canadian Ice Expo, Barrie, Dec 14-15.
New-ish show that folks travel from all over eastern CAN to get to. Different venue this year, Georgian College, at the top end of Lake Simcoe.
7. Brian Brosdahl’s makin’ the rounds.
Here’s The Bro Road Show’s next few stops:
- Nov 16 – Scheels – St. Cloud, MN
- Nov 20 – Marine General – Duluth, MN
- Nov 22 – Fleet Farm – Duluth, MN
- Nov 23 – Gander Outdoors – Forest Lake, MN
- Nov 24 – Fleet Farm – Brainerd, MN
- Nov 29 – Cabela’s – Rogers, MN
S’more info on the prize giveaways and Bro’s full schedule here.
8. American Baitworks bought 50% of STH Bait Co.
STH = Set The Hook Bait Co, which makes hand-poured soft plastics. American Baitworks is the same company that bought a 50% stake in Freedom Tackle earlier this spring.
9. AK: Crazy ice balls on the Wulik River…
…have North American ice experts stumped.
15. Did you enter the $150 Yo-Zuri giveaway yet??
Have a shot at winning this pile of Yo-Zuri loot, including the brand new Rattl’N Vibe Mini!! It’s a tasty 1-5/8″ (3/16-oz) size for you ice-heads. Comes in 12 different colors, 4 of which are UV and designed specifically for ice fishing.
Will be 3 different winners for this one. Takes 10 seconds to enter by clicking the picture below and can share the link you get for bonus entries. Good luck!