1. USA: Recreational boating has $230 bil economic impact.
> …a 36% increase in annual economic activity from 2018’s $170 bil to $230 bil in 2023.
> …and a 14% jump in recreational marine industry-related jobs from 691K in 2018 to 812K in 2023.
2. IL: Spring Valley Walleye Club awards $3K scholarship…
…to Ella Biggins, a Marquette Academy senior who “will be attending Benedictine University to pursue her biology degree as she continues to do volunteer work both locally and at college.”
> The Spring Valley Walleye Club will be giving away a minimum of one $1,500 scholarship annually to interested high school seniors who have demonstrated effective, voluntary, long-term dedication to the preservation, protection, enhancement and/or promotion of Illinois’ natural resources.
3. NWT inks deal with CMP Group Ltd.
With their brands Panther Marine and TrollMaster.
4. USDA to purchase 108K lbs of walleye fillets…
…that will be used in the National School Lunch Program and other federal food assistance programs.
5. NY: 14th-annual Women Conquering Outdoor Adventures, Sept 9.
> …the program offers ladies a full day of outdoors-related instruction in specific areas they want to learn about from certified instructors. Participants can select 4 different workshops (based on availability) from a long list of options, including archery, air pistol, basic shotgun, basic rifle, basic pistol, advanced pistol, active shooter response, tomahawk/knife throwing and succulent gardening.
6. Voting is open for the Anglers’ Choice Award.
ICAST (the annual fishing biz trade show) has a “New Product Showcase” each year where companies show-off their new fishing products, and industry folks vote for their favorite “Best of Category” (there’s 37) and overall “Best of Show” award. That has already happened – the 2023 winners are here.
Now there’s a dealio where non-industry folks can vote for their favorite new products (from the 37 category winners) for the ICAST 2023 Anglers’ Choice Best of Show Award. Voting will be online thru ICAST’s website from Aug 20-26. Heads up you do need to create an account to cast your vote.
7. FishUSA end of summer clearance event happening now.
An additional 15% off already discounted prices. Some schtuff is up to 90% off.
8. IN: Academy Sports + Outdoors opened an Indianapolis-area store.
> “This marks the third store Academy has opened in 2023. This fall, Academy will also open the state’s sixth store in Avon, Ind. Academy plans to continue its expansion efforts with the goal of opening 13 – 15 stores this year, and a total of 120 to 140 new stores by the end of 2027.
9. DC: Tackle industry wants folks to weigh-in on lead bans.
10. Vista Outdoor will be rebranded as The Kinetic Group.
11. Quantum’s new senior product engineer = Mark Talwin.
> Industry vet…with over a decade of fishing reel engineering excellence behind him….”
12. Columbia Sportswear hired Tom Gyles as SVP, global distribution network.
> Gyles has over 20 years of logistics and distribution network experience across several industries. He spent the last ten years working in the apparel industry with PVH Corp. and Gap, Inc.
13. NJ power outage caused by a fish. 😅
That was apparently dropped by a bird and landed on a transformer.