Happy New Year walleye and ice folks! Hope yours was Merry and that you started off the new year right – fishing! If you’re in the ‘eye and/or ice fishing business, make sure you’re part of Target Walleye by emailing Jim Kalkofen at email@example.com. Don’t wait!
Today’s Top 3
Hands down, the Rapala Jigging Rap was (and still is) smokin’ hot for walleyes all over North America in 2014, for both open water and ice. What will take off in 2015? Some thoughts:
1. Couple contenders: Live Target BaitBalls (left) as well as Storm’s WildEye (right).
2. Speaking of bait, we’re wondering if anyone has worked the Alabama/umbrella rig through schools of walleye (like in the Great Lakes)? We know of cases where it’s worked a little and we’re looking for proof that it works great.
Trolling Rapala Ultra Light cranks behind this sort of rigging would be interesting as well. IS SOME BODY KEEPING THIS A SECRET in the competitive walleye world??
3. Speaking of secrets, the Lazy Ike trolled (with bits of night crawler on the hooks) a half a century ago was not only a hot method but THE standard GO TO method in the Upper Midwest. Somewhere along the line, the Lazy Ike got out of fashion…or did it?
4. One more is the Lindy Rig, still a walleye killer. A plain Lindy Rig dressed with live bait – what do you think of that, Guy?
5. We’re learning more and more that walleyes in clear lakes (especially those with zebra mussels) during bight sunny days retreat into weeds. When they do, Al uses a standard jig and Boot Tail Minnow to beat weed edges with great success.
Port Clinton Walleye Drop rules!
Forget the “ball” drop in Times Square, how ’bout the Port Clinton, OH walleye drop! (partial vid here)
Ya better believe it beats these New Year’s rituals:
Kissing the frozen carp in WI:
AR pig (on shrooms?) drop:
37.5″ ice pike!
Check out this NICE ice gator hipped to us by the one and only Pete Maina:
1. New season of Lindner TV coming.
- Lindner’s Fishing Edge is on the Outdoor Channel, while Lindner’s Angling Edge airs on Pursuit, Fox Sports (North, Midwest, Detroit, Ohio), Sports South, WFN, and TUFF TV along with over 70 broadcast stations.
- Working with the Lindner crew is not only a ton of fun, but very meaningful. From a brand perspective, the degree of audience engagement toward Sea Foam products is amazing – we are very pleased….
…may hurt Lake Michigan fish — makes males like females.
5. NPAA conference info.
Two new sponsors:
> Chip Leer from the National Walleye Tour
> Robert Cartlidge from The Walleye Federation
1. WI: Team Extreme winners.
Fox Lake, Jon Jenneman and Doug Bussian weighed 8 crappies and 8 gills for 10.02 lbs — won by 0.04 lbs!
2. WY: Winning trout.
Here ’tis, a giant ‘bow:
3. New Aqua-Vu Bio-Lume light.
4. NJ: 3 Hopatcong ice derbies.
> The bite is picking up as more anglers are taking home limits of walleyes and saugers, with some jumbo perch and trophy walleyes mixed in.
> Hot jigging colors are gold and pink. Plain hook with a live minnow has been effective. Ice conditions average 18-20 inches, and snowmobile trails are now groomed with an additional 10 inches of snow.
> On the Rainy River, anglers are finding fish in 16-18 feet. A light presentation best. Glass eyes, pink, and white working best using shiners. Most fish close to bottom with some suspended fish caught with help of electronics.
> Up at the NW Angle, consistent reports of good walleye fishing in 24 – 30 feet. For anglers fishing Ontario side out of NW Angle resorts, great walleye and crappie action continues.
Tip of the Day
In-Depth Outdoors’ James Holst and Joel Nelson, cool video:
Quote of the Day
The men move the small fish-houses all the time, but we catch just as many fish without all that running around looking for a better spot.
– Fisher-ladies who probably don’t have any problem asking for directions either!
Shot of the Day
Two golden catches….
TargetWalleye.com | IceForce.com | Rapala.com
To send us walleye pics, ice shots and whatever,