1. VT: 82yo man found…
…outside his fish house, had passed on. RIP fishing brother. Seems like he went out doing what he loved….
2. MN: Hey Lake of the Woods peeps.
Had a TWI fan lose his Humminbird ICE 55 flasher (and entire tackle bag) during the ride in from reefs on Lake of the Woods:
> On the marked snowmobile trail, we rode from Knight/Bridges back to the river just after dark Saturday night.
Got it laying around in the “lost and found?” Let us know and we’ll connect you.
The good news: Curt Holt made the best of the situation, tied on an old 3/8-oz jig he had rolling around in his bucket for a couple of years, and cracked a Rainy River slaunch that broke the magical 30″ mark. #Stout
3. MN: New pike regs coming on “opener.”
> “The intent of the new reg, spread over 3 northern pike ‘zones,’ is to reduce the number of small ‘hammer-handle’ northerns that infest too many state lakes.”
- North-central: Limit of 10. No more than 2 longer than 26″ and all from 22-26″ must be released.
- Northeast: Limit of 2. Must release all from 30-40″, with only 1 over 40″ allowed in possession.
- South: Limit of 2. Minimum size is 24″.
4. Lund now making composite transoms.
New High-Density Performance (HDP) composite transoms are a rot-proof [!] alternative to marine plywood. Also stronger, stiffer and lighter. #Jackpot
5. IL: MWC kicks off Mar 23-24.
On the Illinois River at Spring Valley. Considered “one of the continent’s top sauger fisheries” but also have a chance at some fatty walters.
6. OH: Discount cards for fisher-people…
…that visit for the Sandusky River walleye run. Just need a valid fishing license to use the cards at local businesses. Cool idea.
7. WWA Fox Chain tourney coming up Apr 15.
That’s the World Walleye Association. Got their new Pro-Tournament H2 Scale dialed-in and are letting you add 1 kicker squirrel to your bag this year:
8. Rigging an Aqua-Vu on your boat (video).
9. FishUSA flash sale on Water Puppets!
Those fishy Someday Isle Tackle Water Puppets are buy 2 get 1 free until 11:59 pm EST tonight. Here’s how Brent Long rigs/fishes ’em:
10. MN: Lake of the Woods pike bite is going.
We’ll have more on the how-to portion of that later….
11. Ever seen these?
Called FishEng Leader Boards. Tried ’em out last fall for redtail/creek chub rigs and they worked slick…plus no cardboard cuts (lol). Here’s one decked-out with some pre-rigged Moonshine Shiver Minnows:
12. New Honda EU2200 generator.
Supposed to have enough juice to power the A/C in permanent fish houses, yet weighs 90-lbs less than the beefy-cake EU3000 (46.5 lbs).
Couple other changes: increased ventilation, a fuel-shutoff valve and is designed for much easier/cleaner oil changes. Nice thing about that fuel-shutoff valve:
> …allows the engine to continue to run until the majority of the fuel in the carburetor is consumed and the engine shuts off…helps prevent stale fuel issues and is useful for storing the generator.
No matter what type of power-wagon you’re running, adding a shot of Sea Foam will help keep it running smooth. Especially stuff that sits around between uses.
13. SD: Muskies now catch-and-release only.
14. UT: New catch-and-release record splake.
Hybrid lake trout + brook trout. Buckely Jolley (awesome fishing name) plucked the 30.5-incher outta Joes Valley Reservoir.
15. Careco working with someone else for airtime sales.
16. TWI survey giveaway winner was…
Mark H[removed] from Lakeville, MN who will be getting a pile of ice-fishing lures from Lunkerhunt. Thanks ALL for the great input!